If you’re wondering what the difference between a sleeping mask and a night cream is, keep reading because we’ve unpacked the differences between these two types of products to help you build the perfect skincare regimen.
In a nutshell, this is the most significant difference between sleeping masks and night creams:
What is a night cream?
A night cream is considered a staple for every beauty routine, something almost unmissable in our beauty pocket. If you follow a K-Beauty routine, a night cream is the final or penultimate step of your nighttime regimen. We can briefly describe a night cream as an intensely hydrating moisturizer.
Traditionally, a night cream has always been heavy and very oily; thanks to K-beauty, we now have various types of night creams to be chosen based on every person’s skin. The classic ones with a creamy texture, the ones with no acids, and also the water-based ones, for people with oily skin.
A night cream can and has to be used every day; it doesn’t need to be rinsed off in the morning.
What is a sleeping mask?
A sleeping mask is a skincare product created to be left on overnight. Masks, or sleeping packs, are more powerful and can be considered a “therapy” to help to restore the skin’s ph and balance. The final goal of every good sleeping mask is to improve the skin’s complexion by boosting its hydration drastically.
Can I use a sleeping mask every night?
On a general note, sleeping masks can be used twice a week because overusing them can cause a loss of efficacy.
Sleeping masks are formulated not to be goopy, so what you have to do is applying a generous layer of the product over your face and go to sleep: in the morning, you will rinse your face and keep going with your beauty routine.
The difference between a night cream and sleeping mask
We can summarise the difference between a night cream and a sleeping mask in just a few words:
- Night creams are daily treatments
- Sleeping masks are SOS treatments.
You can also use these two products together, always remembering that the night cream should go on first before the sleeping mask.
In both cases, remember always to choose the products that are most suitable for you according to your skin type.
In a nutshell: is it worth investing in a night cream or a sleeping mask?
To reiterate: these two products are different and work on a different level.
They may seem similar and interchangeable, but they’re not. You should invest in a good night cream (where “good” doesn’t necessarily mean expensive) and on a good sleeping mask. These two products can work together, but you’ll be using the moisturizer daily and the mask just once-twice a week.
What is the best Korean night cream?
If you’re looking for the best Korean night creams, here’s our selection.
- SKIN&LAB Dr. Color Effect Red Cream – available at Amazon
- NEOGEN Vita Duo Cream Joan Day Joan Night – available at Amazon
- MISSHA Time Revolution Night Repair Probio Ampoule Cream – available at Amazon
- NATURE REPUBLIC Cell Power Night Cream – available at Amazon
The best Korean sleeping masks to buy
If you’re looking for the best Korean sleeping masks, here’s our selection.
- LANEIGE’s Water Sleeping Mask – available at Amazon
- ENATURE’s Birch Juice Hydro Sleeping Pack – available at Amazon
- ETUDE HOUSE Moistfull Collagen Sleeping Pack – available at Amazon
- MIZON Good Night Wrinkle Care Sleeping Mask – available at Amazon
- MIZON Good Night White Sleeping Mask – available at Amazon
- BANILA CO Dear Hydration Sleeping Mask – available at Amazon
- COSRX Ultimate Moisturizing Honey Overnight Mask – available at Amazon
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links, which means that we may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link.